Friday, January 8, 2010

RPG pen and paper dying?

This last summer, I worked at a Cub Scout camp, and some of my friends there introduced me into the world of pen and paper RPGing. RPGing, for those that don't know, stands for Role Playing Game. it is a game where you don't compete against each other, but go together on quest for riches, fame, and glory. Wikipedia has a good article on what is RPGing. but Summer changed into Fall. Fall changed into Winter. Winter changed back into Summer, and Sumer gave Winter and Fall a miss and went straight into Spring (got to love Monty Python...)

and when I went back to school this year, I tried to start a group and failed miserably. it made me start to wonder if pen and paper RPGs are dying out and being replaced by MMORPGs (Massive Multilayer Role Playing Game). or at least dramatically altered to be like MMORPGs (D&D 4th) I like pen and paper because there is a social element that is not there in MMORPGs, but then again, MMORPGs can be more complex because a computer's processor does all of the rules and random numbers, no learning battle systems, no character sheets. I would like to know what you, the reader, thinks about PnP RPGs v. MMORPGs whitch one is better? whitch one do you play more? and whitch one will outlast the other?

Bonus Question 1: what Pen and paper RPG system do you play most?
Bonus Question 2: what MMORPG do you play most?

gjb999

No comments:

Post a Comment